Lieutenant Reginald Barclay stands out among recurring Star Trek characters as someone who experiences a range of mental health issues. In this episode, we discuss those issues and how they’re received by his crewmates on TNG and Voyager.
Download now (right-click and save)
Hosts: Jarrah, Andi, Sue
Guest: Lucia Lorenzi – @empathywarrior
Transcription: Taylor Schmidt – @Taylor_Joy7
Notes and References:
- Joyrich, Lynne (Winter 1996). “Feminist Enterprise? “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and the Occupation of Femininity”. Cinema Journal.
- Memory Alpha on Barclay
- Reddit thread on Barclay and mental illness
- “Star Trek’s Poor Depiction of Mental Illness in a Hopeful Future” by John Duchak at TrekMovie.com
- Aspergers and Me blog on Barclay
- “Rethinking Reg Barclay” by Jordan Hoffman at StarTrek.com