In the DS9 two-parter “Past Tense,” Sisko, Bashir and Dax travel to the year 2024, a dark time in our near future. Treknews.net blogger Michelle Toven joins us to discuss the episodes’ socio-political themes, which include homelessness, mental health, race, class, violence, and the power of storytelling.
Download now (right-click and save)
Notes and References:
- “Past and Current Tense” by Michelle Toven at Priority One
- “No Safe Place: Sexual Assault in the Lives of Homeless Women” at vawnet.org
- “Fast Facts: Counting women in – a gender-based analysis of homelessness” by Jess Klassen and Lisa Spring.
- “6 Welfare Myths We All Need to Stop Believing” at Mashable – addresses the “welfare queen” stereotype.
- The Gene Roddenberry interview referenced is a 1980s interview printed in the 1988 Star Trek Interview Book by Allan Asherman.
Hosts: Jarrah, Grace and Sue
Guest: Michelle Toven