The crew is joined by Erica Massey, a PhD student studying modern literature and pop culture, to discuss pre-internet Star Trek fanfiction. We discuss the fanzine production process, the culture of the early fanfic community, and debates around “slash” fic.
Download now (right-click and save)
Hosts: Andi, Sue, Jarrah, Grace
Guest: Erica Massey
Transcription: Rebecca – @carolinalady
Notes and References:
- Enterprising Women: Television Fandom and the Creation of Popular Myth by Camille Bacon-Smith, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1991.
- StarTrek.com article on Spockanalia, the first Star Trek fanzine.
- Fanlore.org article on Grup (this link contains explicit illustrations).
- fozmeadows on Tumblr shares thoughts on men’s vs. women’s roles in fan creation.
- gingerjuju on Tumblr talks about the devaluation of women’s contributions to fandom.