Did J.J. Abrams’ two Star Trek movies capture the spirit of Star Trek? Improve roles for women? Our crew discusses these and more questions about the JJ-verse, and talks about the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond.
Notes and References:
- Correction: in this episode we stated that Star Trek (2009) is one of only two Trek movies to pass the Bechdel Test. In fact, it is one of four, along with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek: Generations and Star Trek: First Contact (for detailed results, click here).
- “Star Trek’s History of Progressive Values – and Why It Faltered on LGBT Crewmembers” by Devon Maloney at Wired.
- Subspace Transmissions Podcast Bonus Episode: Star Trek (2009)
- J.J. Abrams tells Jon Stewart why he never liked Star Trek. U.S. video link (Comedy Central) and for Canadians, the video is up at The Comedy Network.
- Article on the Geena Davis’ Institute’s efforts to improve representations of women in media, and how this influenced Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Screencrush).
- Tor.com’s list of Indian actors who could’ve played Khan in STiD.
- “Simon Pegg Joins Criticism of Star Trek Beyond Trailer” (The Guardian).
Hosts: Jarrah, Sue and Andi