In 2020, Women at Warp adopted a new mission: “Intersectional Diversity in Infinite Combinations.” (YES, we know the original Vulcan philosophy is “Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.” This ain’t our first rodeo.)
If you’re not familiar with the term “intersectional”, it refers to “the complex, cumulative way in which the effects of multiple forms of discrimination (such as racism, sexism, and classism) combine, overlap, or intersect, especially in the experiences of marginalized individuals or groups”. For more information, you can read Kimberlé Crenshaw’s groundbreaking 1989 paper Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics.
For us, it means that we aren’t just discussing women’s issues, because women’s issues are related to race issues, and LGBT issues, and disability issues, and every other way in which society tries to make us second-class citizens. And we want to amplify the signal of other podcasts who are bringing diverse perspectives to the Star Trek podverse.
This is certainly not meant to be a comprehensive list, but here are ten diverse podcasts to get you started.
BIPOC Trek podcasts:
- The 7th Rule – Two men (one Black, one white)
- All the Asians on Star Trek – One Asian man
- Black Tribbles – Eight Black hosts (five men, three women)
- I Quit Star Trek – Two Black hosts (one woman, one man)
- SyFy Sistas – Five Black women
- Your Away Team – Two Black hosts (one woman, one man)
LGBT+ Trek Podcasts:
- Deep Space Gay – Two queer white women
- Deep Space Pride – Two gay men (one Asian, one white)
Diverse Trek-and-Other-SF Podcasts:
- Métis in Space – Two Indigenous Canadian women
- Out of Orbit Podcast – Small horde of young LGBT+ hosts
Honorable Mention to DisVisibility, which is not specifically Trek or sci-fi, but which discusses politics, culture, and media from a disability perspective.
If you don’t see a podcast for YOUR intersection on the list, we encourage you to start one. And we can’t wait to hear about Star Trek from your point of view!
Thank you for this! Time to check out some new podcasts.
Thanks for the mention and the logo display. We just debuted or podcast on Christmas Eve, so this is so cool.
The Movie Trailer Review Podcast- has done reviews of the current Star Trek Shows and is run and hosted by Black People.
MTR Network- https://www.mtrnetwork.net/movie-reviews/